A DIY FOUNDATION FOR BIG TORQUE!
We offer the ZZ502/502 Base crate engine for the builder who wants the super-strong bottom end and high-flow aluminum oval-port cylinder heads, but also wants to finish the engine his or her way. It’s a great foundation and it’s up to you to make the most of it!
Like our complete ZZ502/502 Deluxe crate engine, a set of high-flow aluminum oval-port cylinder heads and a hydraulic roller camshaft designed to support low-rpm torque production enable it to hit the 500 lb.-ft. mark by approximately 2,500 rpm and hold it above the mark until around 5,000 rpm. It also features a latest-generation block casting with four-bolt main caps and an all-forged rotating assembly for exceptional strength and durability.
We rate the ZZ502/502 Base engine at 508 horsepower and 580 lb.-ft. of torque when it is finished with Chevrolet Performance aluminum intake manifold P/N 12363406 and Holley 870-cfm carburetor P/N 19170094. The other parts you need to complete the engine – including chrome dress-up parts – are available from
Part Number: 19331576
Engine Type: Chevy Big-Block V-8
Displacement (cu in): 502
Bore x Stroke (in): 4.470 x 4.000
Block (P/N 19170540): Cast-iron with 4-bolt main caps
Crankshaft (P/N 10183723): Forged steel
Connecting Rods (P/N 19170198): Forged steel, shot peened
Pistons (P/N 12533507): Forged aluminum
Camshaft Type (P/N 12366543): Hydraulic roller
Camshaft Lift (in): .527 intake / .544 exhaust
Camshaft Duration (@.050 in): 224° intake / 234° exhaust
Cylinder Heads (P/N 19331425): Aluminum oval port; 110cc chambers
Valve Size (in): 2.250 intake / 1.880 exhaust; stainless steel
Compression Ratio: 9.6:1
Rocker Arms (P/N 12675724): Stamped steel
Rocker Arm Ratio: 1.7:1
Recommended Fuel: Premium pump
Ignition Timing: 32° Total at 4,000 rpm
Maximum Recommended rpm: 5,800
Flexplate (P/N 10185034): 14"
• Clutch linkage bosses are now drilled and tapped. When using cast-iron exhaust manifolds, lower head bolts may need to be replaced with bolts with shorter heads, for clearance
• 502 engines now have a mechanical fuel pump boss! NOTE: There is NO fuel pump lobe behind the boss.
• Comes with an externally balanced 14" automatic transmission flexplate. Use flywheel P/N 14096987 and 11" clutch assembly for manual transmission applications
• Designed for pre-1976 street vehicles or any off-road vehicle
• Not intended for marine applications
NOTE: Distributor with melonized steel gear MUST be used with long-blocks and Partial engines with steel camshafts, or engine damage will occur.
California Proposition 65 Warning