AN AFFORDABLE POWERHOUSE!
What will you do with 461 horsepower and 558 lb.-ft. of torque from Chevrolet Performance’s value-driven 502 HO crate engine? Whether you use it on the street, strip or even pulling a trailer with your workhorse truck, its performance range offers unlimited possibilities. In fact, it makes nearly 500 lb.-ft. by only 1,500 rpm, meaning it has all the low-rpm grunt you can use!
To support all that torque, we build this Big-Block with our latest-generation block casting with four-bolt main caps and complement it with an all-forged rotating assembly for exceptional strength and durability. A hydraulic roller camshaft is used for excellent drivability and a broad performance range; and an 8.75:1 compression ratio is suitable for regular pump gasoline at all altitudes and engine loads.
Our crate engine assembly includes an aluminum, dual-plane intake manifold, a water pump, 14-inch flexplate, balancer and more. You add the carburetor, starter and ignition system – all available from Chevrolet Performance.
Part Number: 12568778
Engine Type: Chevy Big-Block V-8
Displacement (cu in): 502
Bore x Stroke (in): 4.470 x 4.000
Block (P/N 19170540): Cast-iron with 4-bolt main caps
Crankshaft (P/N 10183723): Forged steel
Connecting Rods (P/N 19170198): Forged steel, shot peened
Piston and Ring Kit (P/N 12533507): Forged aluminum
Camshaft Type (P/N 24502611): Hydraulic roller
Camshaft Lift (in): .510 intake / .540 exhaust
Camshaft Duration (@.050 in): 211° intake / 230° exhaust
Cylinder Heads (P/N 12562920): Iron rectangular port; 118cc chambers
Valve Size (in): 2.190 intake / 1.880 exhaust
Compression Ratio: 8.75:1
Rocker Arms (P/N 19260993): Stamped steel
Rocker Arm Ratio: 1.7:1
Water Pump (P/N 19168606): Cast-iron, long-style
Flexplate (P/N 10185034): 14"
Recommended Fuel: Regular pump
Ignition Timing: 32° Total at 4,000 rpm
Maximum Recommended rpm: 5,500
Intake Manifold (P/N 19131359): Dual Plane
• Requires addition of carburetor, fuel pump, starter, distributor and ignition system (not included)
• Clutch linkage bosses are now drilled and tapped. When using cast-iron exhaust manifolds, lower head bolts may need to be replaced with bolts with shorter heads, for clearance
• 502 engines now have a mechanical fuel pump boss! NOTE: There is NO fuel pump lobe behind the boss.
• Comes with an externally balanced 14" automatic transmission flexplate. Use flywheel P/N 14096987 and 11" clutch assembly for manual transmission applications
• Designed for pre-1976 street vehicles or any off-road vehicle
• Not intended for marine applications
NOTE: Distributor with melonized steel gear MUST be used with long-blocks and Partial engines with steel camshafts, or engine damage will occur.
California Proposition 65 Warning