BIG TORQUE ON A BUDGET 454HO Video
Chevrolet Performance’s 454 HO crate engine is a Big-Block bargain – an affordable engine with performance specs that will make you think it’s 1970 all over again, including 438 horsepower and 500 asphalt-wrinkling lb.-ft. of torque.
A latest-generation block casting with four-bolt main caps is the Big-Block engine’s foundation and features an all-forged rotating assembly for great strength and durability. It also uses a smooth hydraulic roller camshaft for excellent drivability and a broad performance range. Rectangular-port cylinder heads with large, 2.19/1.88-inch valves, round out the assembly.
The engine package includes a water pump, balancer, 14-inch flexplate and an aluminum intake manifold. Simply add a carburetor, ignition system and starter and the engine will be ready to roar. All of the necessary parts are available from Chevrolet Performance.
Part Number: 12568774
Engine Type: Chevy Big-Block V-8
Displacement (cu in): 454
Bore x Stroke (in): 4.250 x 4.000
Block (P/N 19170538): Cast-iron with 4-bolt main caps
Crankshaft (P/N 14096983): Forged steel
Connecting Rods (P/N 19170198): Forged steel
Pistons (P/N 10215228): Forged aluminum
Camshaft Type (P/N 24502611): Hydraulic roller
Camshaft Lift (in): .510 intake / .540 exhaust
Camshaft Duration (@.050 in): 211° intake / 230° exhaust
Cylinder Heads (P/N 12562920): Iron rectangular port; 118cc chambers
Valve Size (in): 2.190 intake / 1.880 exhaust
Compression Ratio: 8.75:1
Rocker Arms (P/N 19260993): Stamped steel
Rocker Arm Ratio: 1.7:1
Water Pump (P/N 19168606): Cast-iron, long-style
Flexplate (P/N 10185034): 14"
Recommended Fuel: Premium pump
Ignition Timing: 36° Total at 4,000 rpm
Maximum Recommended rpm: 5,500
Intake Manifold (P/N 19131359): Dual Plane
• Requires addition of carburetor, starter, fuel pump, distributor and ignition system (not included)
• Clutch linkage bosses are now drilled and tapped. When using cast-iron exhaust manifolds, lower head bolts may need to be replaced with bolts with shorter heads, for clearance
• Comes with an externally balanced 14" automatic transmission flexplate; use flywheel P/N 14096987 and 11" clutch assembly for manual transmission applications
• Designed for pre-1976 street vehicles or any off-road vehicle
• Not intended for marine applications
NOTE: Distributor with melonized steel gear MUST be used with long-blocks and Partial engines with steel camshafts, or engine damage will occur.